The American Legion Riders are members of the American Legion who are also motorcycle enthusiasts. They can be found participating in parades, partaking in motorcycling events, and supporting the communities in which they live, work, and play. Members of the ALR come from the Legion, the Legion Auxiliary, and the Sons of the American Legion. The American Legion Riders were formed...
...to participate in parades and other ceremonies that are in keeping with the Aims and Purposes of the American Legion.
...to promote motorcycle safety programs and to provide a social atmosphere for American Legion members who share the same interest.
...to use our Association to promote and support programs of the American Legion.
The American Legion Riders is not a M/C, and does not practice M/C rules or regulations. The American Legion Riders is family-oriented, just as is its parent organization: the American Legion.
Where we Are Today...
As the membership of the American Legion Riders is a very diverse group, so are the programs that they are involved in. By allowing each American Legion Rider Chapter to give their members the ability to manage their program at the Post level, the program has been allowed to grow. Today there exist Legion Rider programs in several states, and many more starting. The types of things that these groups are doing are far too many to mention in this article, but here are a few examples:
1. Participation in the annual POW/MIA Rally held each Memorial weekend in Washington D.C. known as "Rolling Thunder".
2. Sponsoring or participating in local Charity events.
3. Raising money for such organizations as local VA Hospitals, Battered Women and Children's Center, Varied Children and Youth programs, a School for Blind Children, Veterans Relief, Needy families and many, many others.
4. Sponsoring or participating in motorcycle "Runs" to benefit numerous charities, including charities for underprivileged children and medical research, just to name a few.
5. Participation in memorial ceremonies and community parades.
One group is spearheading an effort to erect a "Veterans Memorial Park" in the center of their Downtown area.
The recognition by local communities has marked the program as a true success. The American Legion Riders Group in Michigan was even honored by the Local City Council, when they drafted a resolution Declaring the American Legion Riders as a valuable asset to the community. Motorcyclist can be a very dedicated group of people. When you combine this with the fact that they are legionnaires, you create a win/win situation.
Our monthly Meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of each month @7PM
check us out on facebook